Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Abby's Allergist Appointment

Finally, we had Abby's allergist appointment. She did such a great job. Usually when we go to the doctor she is very nervous and clingy. Today, she was such a big girl. She spoke to everyone in a very clear voice and answered all of their questions. The doctor gave us five prescriptions for her and ran a blood test. He said her eczema is severe (no kidding) and that we need to "attack" it with everything we've got. We have a follow-up appointment 1 November. I finally feel like we have found a doctor who wants to help Abby. At the appointment on the 1st we should have some answers as to what sort of allergies she has and continue treatment based on the findings.

We had to go to another hospital to get Abby's blood drawn. It was a terrible experience and they were hardly able to draw enough blood (the doctor said they would try to run the tests with what was drawn). Steve held Abby and as soon as she saw the elastic they wrap around your arm she freaked out. She was screaming at the top of her lungs saying "No, it is going to be too tight, please no." It was so sad and I was on the verge of tears. They had a really hard time getting any blood because when you are nervous/tense the blood does not flow very freely. In between screams she would say things like "Guys, please stop" and "Girls, girls I don't like it, are we done yet?" It was cute, but very hard for Steve and I to see her in so much pain.

Other than the blood experience, we had a nice day. Steve and I both took the day off because her appointment was in Oklahoma. We went to the BX at Fort Sill and had lunch at the Atlanta Bread Company. It was nice to spend some time alone with Abby. She is so smart. She uses words like "actually," "of course," and "usually." It is just cute to hear her use such grown up words.

Jacob is doing really well. He has started to identify numbers and finally colors. For the longest time I thought he may be color blind, but thank goodness I was just over reacting. Tonight, Abby was standing on the couch (and not listening to me telling her to get off) and for some reason she fell off and landed on her head. I jumped up and picked her up kissing her and asking her if she was ok. Jacob then climbed on the couch, made sure Blake and I were watching him, and proceeded to fall off and "cry." It was hilarious... Blake picked him up and made a big deal out of him getting hurt, too!

Blake is doing great. He and I spent the entire evening working on a play he had to write for school. We had a good time tossing around ideas and incorporating some ideas he got from his mom. We ordered pizza because we did not have time to cook anything. He is flying to S.C. for the long weekend. I know he will have a good time visiting and taking some time off from the craziness of our lives.

Steve and I are doing ok. Steve is finishing up his last classes and I think he is ready to graduate. I have my accounting final next week. Tomorrow I am going to the spa with my friend who just returned from Iraq. I am looking forward to relaxing and helping my friend unwind.

My camera is still broken and I am hoping to have it fixed before Abby's birthday party. I know you are all anxious for some pictures.

No comments: